Lemon Saffron Risotto with Asparagus
- 1 Bunch Asparagus Chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Shallot Finely Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced or Crushed
- 1 Cup Risotto (Arborio Rice)
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 2 pinches Saffron Strands
- 2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Ghee Oil of choice
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth Low or No Sodium
- 4 Cups Water Boiled and Hot
- ¼ Cup Sherry Replace 1/4 cup of the boiled water if using.
- Nutritional Yeast
- Goat Cheese
- Wash asparagus and trim ends. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a pot, warm 1 Tbsp of ghee on low heat and add black pepper and asparagus. Sauté with the lid over the pot until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add 1 tsp cumin to asparagus and sauté about 1 more minute. Add more ghee if needed. Remove asparagus from pot and set aside in a bowl or dish.
- In a separate pot, bring 4 cups water to boil in an electric kettle or stove top pot. When water reaches a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm remaining ghee on medium heat in same pot as before and stir in garlic and shallot. Sauté until aromatic and onion is translucent, about 2-5 minutes, then add remaining cumin and sauté 1 additional minute. Stir in risotto until fully coated and sauté about 2 minutes, stir regularly to keep from burning.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of the hot water and saffron strands. Stir well. Return heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to maintain simmer and stir regularly, and add vegetable broth (and sherry if using) and boiled water in 1 cup increments until rice is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes. You may not use all of the water, or you may need more.
- Once rice is fully cooked, reduce heat to low and squeeze the juice of the lemon in and stir in with asparagus pieces. Let sit for five minutes on low heat, then stir.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with nutritional yeast or goat cheese, if desired.